Who Am I?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Glow of Youth

Today we toasted BB's student teacher with punch and cookies.  It was her final day at his preschool before heading off to graduation and a summer wedding.

Over the course of her time in BB's class room I haven't had much interaction with her.  Her presence in my son's life has been minimal.  I haven't caught any hint of her impact on his education or school experience.  I could tell BB was only there today for the cookies and punch.

While some students were crying and grabbing her in enormous hugs, BB merely shook her hand and gave an awkward side hug.  He saved his biggest smile and leg hug for his "real" teacher, (whom he did report was "back in the classroom full time".) thanking her for the party on our way out the door.

So it came as a surprise to me that I teared up at the party.  After the three and four year olds had their fill of party treats and social time, they were invited to sit in a circle around the Guest of Honor.  This bright, sweet, and kind woman sat on the floor beaming as fifteen or so children settled down around her.  A few of the kids were nearly in her lap they were so excited for the gift opening.  The lead teacher said a few words and then presented her with some gifts.  She seemed touched and thankful.  One was a gift certificate to a school supply store where the Student Teacher will be living after she gets married.  The students gently passed around the figurine that had been picked out.  Oooo--ing and ahhh-ing as they handed it to the person sitting next to them.  Then they scooted in even closer to her as she began to look at each card they had made for her.

It was a beautiful scene.  But I don't think it was the caring teachers or adorable kids that brought tears to my eyes.  I think it was the memory of what it felt like to stand on the precipice of a whole new life.  Graduation.  Marriage.  First Job.  While I am sure there is also fear and uncertainty behind her smile and bright eyes.  Because, of course, she has no idea.

None of us did. We sat in circles opening gifts, overwhelmed not by the outpouring of love so much as the foggy feeling that life was moving faster than we could take in.  Perhaps that is why I teared up.  In that moment I had a chance to reflect on the times when I sat there--surround by my life and love and overwhelming joy.

I stood in the gym, in the middle of my future, giving thanks for all that has been...and pretended something was in my eye.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good old BB!! Will send the letter stuff soon 0- copier is broke at school!!!
Love ya!
Hil

Colette said...

Wait a minute....I STILL have no idea!