Who Am I?

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

So Fancy. So Famous

It was a teenage birthday.  Perhaps my 16th.  My Mom and I drove to Minneapolis to attend the Seventeen Magazine's fall fashion show at Dayton's Department Store.  The event took place on the 8th Floor and it was to be my first (and perhaps last?) formal fashion show.  I remember the center aisle set up in the grand, wide open 8th Floor.  I remember lights and the stage.  I remember feeling very old and very important.  It was so out of body, that I can't recall many of the details.  I don't know what I wore but best guess might have been an Esprit or Benetton sweater. I do remember it as one of my more special birthdays, one I was surprised my Mom came up with .  (shopping is not her thing and she did her best not to overly encourage my illusions of grandeur.)

The other very important part of the day surrounded the guest appearances of the cast of Head of the Class.  They took part in the show.  Coming on stage and giving short interviews.  It was my favorite TV shows while I was in high school. So, you'll join me in mutual squeal when I tell you this next part.

We must have sat in our seats for a while following the fashion show, I imagine I wanted to take it all in.  Once we got on the elevator, the crowds had cleared.  (and upon reflection, this may have been the real reason we hung back...) After a few floors we were alone in the elevator when it stopped and the doors opened...and guess who got on????  I think it was a number of people from the cast, but I especially remember Eric Mardian standing very close to me.  It was a very "Happy Birthday to Me" two minute elevator ride.  He slumped--so cool, so in character--against the elevator wall.  In my mind he wore shades, and was just impressed to see me as I was to breathe air near him.
I think she was there as well

and I hear them talking to each other as I fondly remember our significant elevator ride.  It never occurred to me to ask for their autograph.  (Did I, Mom? Her memory is decades better than mine.)  Then the elevator car bounced into position and they exited ahead of us.  I hope I smiled at them.  I imagine I might have looked away--pretending this type of thing happened everyday.

Life in Minnesota didn't afford many star sightings.  Now, a number of my classmates could report on Tom Cruise's time on the lakes.  But I only have second hand stories on such-"he came to the door in his towel"-moments.

To me, my elevator ride with The Head of the Class, was pretty darn fun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

***I wrote this entry because The Hollywood Housewife is celebrating her 10 years in LA.  I thought it would be fun...

4 comments:

b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

Head of the class! HOW FUN! I absolutely, completely, utterly LOVED that show. I might have just smooth passed out to share an elevator ride. :)

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

This was adorable! I can just imagine the shock and later frustration of not getting the autograph!

What a fun flashback, too! Head of the Class...hilarious!

laura @ hollywood housewife said...

I love your story! Such a good one. Were you thinking, "please let this elevator get stuck!" or "please get me off this elevator before I pee my pants with excitement!"

I would have been thinking both.

Thanks so much for participating in the link up - it's been so fun!