Who Am I?

Thursday, May 27, 2010

May 27

My last entry was about a life long friend.  Today I gave thanks for those friends who live close, those you see on a daily-sometimes hourly-basis.  The ones you can call for no reason and hang up on in a hurry. The ones that take your kids with a smile and willing spirit.  The ones who feel free to call upon me for help and assistance.  And, the ones who answer when you have a bit of a crisis....

For instance...when your car battery dies in a mall parking lot.  Dies, dead as dead can be, 20 mins before you need to pick up for son from his last day of preschool for the year.  Friends who drive you...
to your son at school
drive you all to lunch
then to your house to get jumper cables...only to realize you don't have the garage door opener (it is in your car)
so she drives you back to the car at the mall to get the garage door opener,
then back to your house
then back to the car at the mall
where you jump the battery--which both of you knew was dead as dead could be, but three men had told me to jump it anyway.  (lesson learned, if I *know* something--just follow through on my own idea)
and then she waits with me for the tow truck to come.  (and another man tries to jump start the battery--seriously, guys--accept defeat. Dead is dead.)
then she takes you home.
Never making you feel like she was burdened in anyway...which of course it was.  Driving around the same loop of a suburb from 11:00am to 3:00pm was not how she planned, or needed, to spend her day.

It isn't just that she answers my calls...it isn't just that she lives near me.  If I'm thankful for nothing else about life here in this town, I am thankful to know her.  Thankful to know such a person exists in the world.  It is always a blessing to stumble upon a kindred spirit.  I am grateful for her and her graceful poise, humor, creativity, dedication and friendship...although, I may have used up my automotive cards for the year.

No comments: