Who Am I?

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Remaining Bendy

Most of the reason I joined the gym (again) was for the yoga. They offer it at an hour I can get to. I was also pleased that my favorite instructor is back teaching. This morning she asked if I was new to yoga and I said 'No, I use to take a class with you..." then it hit me. Two years ago. To a part of me it was just a month or so ago. To the other parts, the more ligament, muscle and fat cell parts of me, the two year gap was obvious.

Oh, wow, was I one stiff kid. I've been walking/running/stair mastering for a few weeks now...muscle is starting to grow. But I haven't stretched as well as I could/should be...something just as vital to the growth and health of my body as cardiovascular health and fat burning.

Last week, I joined my congregation in realizing how stiff our spiritual practices can become as well. We can go through the motions over and over, even gather some holy encounters with God and community along the way, but it is only when we have to stretch ourselves that we realize how stuck we had become.

The praise band had the idea to create a backwards worship service to coincide with the text Mark 9:30-37. The first shall be last and the last shall be first.

I'm ok with worshiping in new ways. I even like more tactile experiences in worship. Which is where I will make the case for 'higher' church worship, verses less liturgical styles, but that is a digression from this entry. This said, I was less than excited about this idea.

First, I didn't think it fit the actual text very well. I still think this idea would be best suited to a text or a sermon about uncertainty, remaining open to the Holy Spirit...but it worked and others could tweak the service more to make it an even better experience.

Second, I have very little authority or investment in worship planning at this congregation. Nor do I have influence over much beyond my small group ministry, so any congregation-wide education or deepening of discussion wasn't up to me.

All that said, it was a fun morning and people liked it. Ok, they liked it once they had gone through it.

If you think over worship in reverse, communion comes *boom* right away. I reversed the liturgy in blocks rather that individual phrases. Once we got to communion we still started it with the Great Thanksgiving...I wasn't going to consecrate empty plates or distribute bread and wine before we had prayed over it, etc. As distribution was taking place all you could hear was a dull hum and clucking of very confused people. It was almost comical, although at this point I felt the weight of worship leadership upon me. It was my sole job to keep this service as meaningful as possible. I was keenly aware of people's piety and the fact it could seem that we were just "goofing around" with the sacraments.

As I cleared up the altar and after the blessings I think I said something to the effect of "This meal of forgiveness is for you, no matter when you receive it." An off the cuff attempt to ease people's anxiety.

As I sat down in the front pew for a song, I could hear the murmur of a usually quiet and respectful group. The concrete walls didn't help. One comment floated up above the rest, "Well, they are going to have to explain this in the sermon." If people were quiet their anxiety came out in movement. Everyone, except the kids I might add because the adults were now making them look downright catatonic, everyone, was wiggling in their seats. Or crossing their legs. Or picking their nails. Or drumming on the pew.

The rest of the service went well enough. By the time the sermon rolled around they were more at ease, and after what was going on was 'named' for them, the mood was palpably lighter.

In the end, people came away with an appreciation for how often we just go through the motions of liturgy...let alone life. While no one, except the crazy band who started it, wants to do it again, everyone realized stretching won't kill you. It might even make you stronger.

1 comment:

Colette said...

You are SUCH a great writer. Really. OK - all from me :-)