Who Am I?

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

and he's off...

That's my first baby. You can't see his face so his cover isn't blown. He was far more confident about the whole event than his picture shows. It is only preschool after all.

But still it is preschool...the start of 16 years of organized education. Something about it is a bit sad. Not the part that he is growing up, that has always been something I expected him to do. Frankly, I am more sad on the days I fear he may never grow up.

No, sad in a more, philosophical way.

Really, he has to learn to line up a certain way and sit still. So soon?
Really, it is time to follow random and arbitrary rules. Sigh.
Really, you have to navigate the opinion and style of your teachers? Already?
Really, he needs to learn that word and learn about what tv show? Come, on.
Really, he has learn that spaceships don't land on barns and cows don't sleep in beds. Why?

The rebel in his mother, the good girl* who stood in line and rose her hand and worked very hard not to attract too much attention to herself, she isn't ready for the world to shape him. She isn't sure standing in line just like everyone else is always the best guiding principle of life. She isn't sure sitting still is a necessary life lesson. She isn't sure...about so many things.

All of this philosophical musing is fine right up until I ask him to do something...then I'm pretty sure what the response should be.

*good girl minus one incident in Kindergarden when I slugged a kid who stepped on my shoes. You know how annoying it is when that happens. And it was hot. His glasses came off but he was fine. Completely fine.

2 comments:

Colette said...

Laughing. So hard. "And it was hot" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am going to be sure never to step on your shoes...especially in the summer:)

I know what you mean, it seems like he will now be in this learning/school process For The Rest of His Life! I agree that I love many things about school and yet am not too thrilled with many other thing, mainly the things I have no control over, mean kids, social things he does not need to be aware of yet, those silly rules of follow these because I say so that sometimes have no really good reason for being there except for the teacher likes it that way....well, here we go ready or not:)
BW