Who Am I?

Friday, August 08, 2008

Training for the Olympics...

Stories about Olympic training have been all over the media lately. One was talking about 'muscle memory' the idea that you train over and over so that eventually your muscles just know what to do with very little mental effort from you.

Apparently, I have some variation on this theme. My imagine of myself as an athlete is so ingrained in my psyche, that I actually think of myself on the same plain as the athletes being interviewed on TV. I nod in total solidarity and understanding as they talk about their training with Matt Lauer and crew. "Oh, I know how those days go." I act as if I understand what they are going through and how hard they are working. I still see myself as that 20something competive athlete who devotes her entire day to her training and health.

Before I could hop a plane to Beijing in time to line up for the opening ceremonies...reality hit me. On Tuesday, while I was in the kitchen watching the kids each lunch, I did fifteen leg squats. No weights. Just bending down and up fifteen times in a row. (Now, mind you my form was perfect.)

Wednesday morning my quad muscles were sore. Sore, people!

Perhaps, getting a tighter grip on my athlete reality should be my first training goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

:-)