Who Am I?

Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I've Got a Fever

Yesterday was EG's baptismal birthday.  We have the tradition of doing something special to celebrate.  Last year she got a toy for the bath while we were at a children's museum.  This year we repeated something BB had done when he was two.  We painted crosses at a local paint your own pottery place.  She got into it and even called the day her "bath-birthday," which of course it is.  Washed in God's love...such a special child of God.

She was also a sick child of God.  Turns out the warmth I felt on her wasn't just excitement or sunshine.  By early evening she was HOT.  At bedtime she was uncomfortable and crying out for me every 20 mins or so.  I decided to snuggle into my bed with her as we waited for my husband to come home (he was very late--11pm late.) and the fever to pass.

EG is a hoot with a fever.  Here are few of her more memorable statements between 8pm and 6am.

She was naked in bed with me, laying across my chest.  I'd think she was asleep, until she'd pop up with the energy of wild horse.  In her voice you can tell she a bit drugged or at least effected by her 104.9 fever.

+"Where's your mom and dad?"  she asked me.  "In Minnesota."  I replied.  "Minnesota.  That's where Grandma and Papa live. And Santa.  Santa walks around there.  With legs, Santa walks on legs."

+Later she starts to giggle to herself and then pops up to look at me.  "Where's Daddy?  Is he in my crib?  You and Daddy (she's laughing harder now) should sleep in my crib."  giggling myself, I say, "Sleep in your crib?!  You think we could do that."  "Yes.  I'll just stay here. With your pillows."

+At around 4 or 5am she is back in bed with us.  She looks over at my husband, "Daddy, where you go?"  He mumbles that he was at work.  "No, now...what you doing?"  He mumbles again that he had to "go potty."  "Daddy, you can have my diapers."  Then in a very absent minded way, spoken to no one in particular, "No more diapers for me...but right now I need 'em."
 

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I hope that poor, sweet, funny honey's fever has passed. What an eventful bath-birthday!

Colette said...

Hope she is feeling better and you all get some more rest today. She is such a little talker! Bath Birthday....loving it!!! Hugs to you guys. Love ya,
C & Co.