Who Am I?

Thursday, February 18, 2010

When Service Has to Stop

I love restaurants.  Almost, in any form.  I prefer to have a server who takes our order and delivers the food back to us.  I also enjoy the drive up kind, where everyone is secure and unable to roam about while eating.

In its highest form, I love to dress up.  I love a fully set table...I even know how to set the "proper" table and which 'what' to use, when.  I love the atmosphere and hushed quiet of a fine restaurant.  And then the food...ohhhh.
 


 Panera is my most frequented spot these days.

I go to enjoy the people.  The community.  The overheard story and the ones I create about people as they type away on laptops or sip their coffee.

The other joy I have about restaurants is that my kids love them, too.  They have been learning how to eat out all of their lives.  BB first joined us at Panera after two or three days home from the hospital.  They are pretty good at it, and actually, behave better in public than at home.  All three of us are very observant people.  Especially BB, he and I can sit and just watch the other people for a good two-three cups of coffee.

But, in recent weeks we have been eating lunch out every week day--plus our Saturday breakfast treat while their dad is exercising.  The special-ness of the occasion has worn off.  BB is almost bored by our usual choices.  And, then I did the math.  The kids eat more now and it is beginning to add up well beyond a sippy cup from home and a muffin.  Ouch.

So, for Lent, I am giving up lunches out.  Today was already an adjustment for us all.  More free time to trash the house and fight with each other.  It required me to parent a bit more and engage in new ways.  I have not given up morning coffees or the Saturday breakfast--although, we might this week just to reinforce my point.

I'll report back.


1 comment:

caron said...

yes. report back! you inspired me and on saturday morning, when i needed it most, i started an only water/decaf tea for drink during lent. as you know i enjoy coffee at almost every hour of the day, saturday was a struggle. i may have looked a bit weary or even crazed...but sometimes that's what self-deprivation will do to a woman.