Who Am I?

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Confessions-Take 2

What started in a flurry of ripped paper and shouts of joy, ended in disgrace and embarrassment.  The story begins on Christmas eve, my friends.  BB and EG ripped and torn and smiled and shouted out in joy over the many gifts they received from great-grandma, granparents, aunts, uncles, each other, mom and dad and yes, even Santa.  I lost track.

I lost track of who gave what to whom.  Then we got home and we had a week of vacation left.  Routine didn't return to our house for 10 days.  I kept putting it off.  Then, I didn't want to make a mistake and leave something off or thank the wrong person for the wrong gift.  Then a month passed, then two...and it was just too embarrassing to acknowledge my lapse in etiquette.

The task's size and scope just kept growing and growing in my mind.  It grew and grew until I just gave up.  Oh, I included some messages in the Valentine's Day cards and I am sure in an email or two I included words of thanks...but people, my confession today is this:  I haven't finished my thank you notes from Christmas time.

Not that I think a blog is a very classy thank you note, but for those two or so readers who are among those I am hiding my face in shame from...Thank you.  We so enjoyed the gifts.  T-shirts and sweaters and cork trivets and mixers and books and pajamas...I could go on, but mostly I am thankful for people who will graciously chuckle at my sin and this confession, hoping I do better next time.  People who in love allow me room to fail at my own standards, all the while encouraging me to be better.  Whether it be thank you notes or life in general--I am blessed and thankful. 

So, thanks....for everything.

1 comment:

Colette said...

I think we should forever be immune to writing thank you notes to each other :-) LOL on your entry - and you know we totally understand.

I was actually looking on Emily Post's site today to see if I could combine thank you notes on Matthew's birth announcements....since people pretty much beat us to the punch on sending him gifts before we have ever even finished his "formal" announcements (thanks to your Mom & Dad AGAIN with their help on these!). I just thought it would be nice to save postage?

Ahhhh - etiquette questions.....just here to make us feel guilty, I think, at times ;-)