Who Am I?

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Life by Candle Light

Every once in awhile I catch my son singing a song from his preschool religious education time.  The program is called Godly Play and I love it.  When I hear him sing, I have to be careful not to look directly at him, least he stop.  He also won't sing upon request unless he is VERY confident that he knows the song.

On his own I can tell he is working on a song that has these lines...."alone we are one little light, but together we shine bright."  He won't tell me the final line and I have forgotten it.  From google, I think it might be from a Jewish folk song.

I think too many of us have lost sight of the finite limits of our individual light and the infinite wattage of our united luminary.  I'm thinking in general terms, as well as specifically to the my denomination, and membership congregation.

Withholding funds, directing money, withholding attendance or quitting all together...the sum of these actions is making me so sad.  I am physically pained when I am in certain groups of people.  And, yet again, I leave large gatherings feeling completely and utterly alone. Isolated by my theology, politics and philosophy.  I have a certain expectation and comfort when I feel this way among strangers or a "new/different" group...but to feel it amongst "my own,"  it cuts closer to my quick.

I guess we can add stewardship, and the understanding of The Body of Christ, and the work of the larger church to the growing list of topics we need to cover in more theological depth.

"alone we are one little light, but together we shine bright."

1 comment:

hollywood housewife said...

I am one of those who quit church in a fit of frustration. A fit that came after years of mounting discomfort.

Motherhood has made me rethink this decision and I've recently thought about returning. Just putting a toe back in.

Your post struck me.