Who Am I?

Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Heat Made Me Do It

I wasn't born for such temperatures.  The fact we lived without air conditioning was intended to unite us in solidarity with those whose homes we helped build.  (I was more inclined to give a donation to ensure everyone got air conditioning in their homes below the Mason Dixon Line.) The oppressive heat of the July and August in The South made me do things I wouldn't normally do.

Sleeping in a bed where the sheets were damp from humidity made me irritable.  Drawers and doors were swollen open, or jammed shut.  Sweat dripped off of me as I sat.  The only energy I expended was lifting a glass of water.  Breathing seemed too much effort at times.  If one were to venture outside they were immediately hit with a wall of fire that engulfed your skin and burned your lungs.

I wasn't born for such temperatures and it made me do things I wouldn't normally do.

One weekend afternoon in July, the only thing I wanted to do was lie on my bed and watch a movie.  I didn't have a TV.  I didn't have a VCR.  I didn't have a movie.

My car had A/C and the local Walmart did as well.

I pushed my dripping self up from my chair, slipped on some flip flops and braved the Georgia fireball.  I drove to Walmart unsure of my plan but feeling desperate and justified.

Once at the store I headed straight to the television aisle.  I looked for a TV/VCR combo that was on the cheaper side.  My eyes darted around willing no sales clerk to talk to me.  Selecting one in my price range, I lifted it into my cart with one defiant motion.  I picked out a romantic comedy that I knew I would watch over and over again.  I headed to the candy aisle.  Then on to check out.

Driving home I felt quiet rebellious...and smart.

I carried my purchases up the stairs to my room, glad no one else was home to witness or inquire about my purchase.  I carefully opened the box and subsequent packaging.  As I cleared off the jars and bottles on the dresser I planned to use as a TV stand, I took note of how they were stuck to the tacky veneer.  Even my furniture was melting.

I plugged in the TV/VCR wonder.  Opened the movie and cracked open a beverage and a bag of twizzlers.

For two plus hours I stretched out on my bed, comatose by the heat and unrealistic love story playing out before me.  I came in and out of consciousness.  At some point the sun mercifully set and I feel asleep in a pool of my own sweat, refreshed and renewed.

In the cool of the morning, before my roommates returned from their weekend adventures away, I repacked my TV/VCR combo...

and returned it to Walmart.

4 comments:

Gertchen said...

That is a funny story ... the heat made me do it. I can only imagine how how it was there. See ... prepared you for this puny Midwest humidity!! I just want to know what movie??? And did you cry? : )

Gretchen said...

Once again, I CANNOT type. I meant to say, "how HOT it ..." SHEESH!!!

Jennie said...

Oooo...back to Friday (Saturday?) confessions. I'm learning so much. :) I have a certain weird pride that my family did not have AC until I was in college (not below Mason-Dixon, however!)...but I am oh so glad to have access to central air now (especially this week!).

A Work in Progress said...

I didn't grow up with A/C either, Jen...although MN and a lake--can't complain too much.