Who Am I?

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Does God Pick Out My Parking Place?

I've been thinking about prayer.  I had an odd conversation with someone a few weeks ago.  I still don't have a secure handle on what the parishioner was telling me, but she opened with, "I have been praying for you all week."  I immediately thanked her and then began to wonder, "Oh. Dear. Why?"

I had led a retreat on prayer the week before which she had attended.  Apparently something I said triggered something in her.  In a large group conversation someone said something about how she is so delighted when God gives her a good parking spot.  I have lost the specific context of the conversation--I think it was about when God grants the smallest of our prayers.  I know I didn't initiate the exact train of thought.  I know this because I don't have "God granted me a parking spot" prayers...or moments.  I know I said something along these lines...or rather I tried to re-frame the comment.  It was a pretty casual conversation so I know I disagreed a bit and offered my take on God as micro-manager.  They weren't buying what I was selling.

Which, I think, is what spurred my parishioner's prayer life.

Now she also could have been praying for me to have a more open mind.  Or, for me to learn to just let some comments in a conversation slide by.  Or, she could have just felt my whole retreat on prayer was lacking.

This particular person knows me pretty well and is a very vocal advocate for my ministry.  I trust she had good and well intentioned prayers.  I also believe she was, truly, praying for me.*  There was just something about it that I didn't like...

I have a few more entries lined up based on this conversation.  Tell me about your prayer life.  Do you have stories about people praying for you?  Other thoughts?


*(I should have told her that if she was offering up "God as Puppeteer" prayers...I have a house I'd like to get rid of.)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

What if God thinks you need a bit more exercise in your day? (re:parking spot) :) Got to work off those church potlucks sometime!

I think I've only had people tell me "I'm praying for you" if they know I'm going through a difficult situation. Sadly, I think that is probably the only time I'd think to say that to someone as well.

I'd say my family takes up most of my prayer time...with others added in "as needed". :)