Who Am I?

Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Confession--Part 3

My first confession needs to be that I didn't confess last week. I thought about it. I didn't have anything that felt appropriate to confess.  No one wants to hear my actual yucky, slimy sins, do they? No. No, you don't.

Today's confessional happened on Wednesday and can be filed under 'S' for sloth.  I was preaching twice on Wednesday.  I hadn't started writing my sermon until Tuesday night.  I wasn't overly prepared.  I don't usually do pastoral work on days the kids have school, so it threw a wrinkle in our day.  (that can also be read:  I had to shower and get all fancy for work on a day I usually wear jeans.  Yes, I know..black pants and a collar shirt isn't exactly high fashion.)  A wonderful friend of mine was coming to watch the kids.  The house was a bit of a disaster.  Now, this said friend has seen my house in all states.  I have seen hers in all states.  But she was coming to spend time with my kids, in my house...it wasn't going to be a trip to the spa, but it didn't need to feel like a field trip to the County Landfill either.

I got most of it vacuumed, the pee cleaned up in the bathroom (argh-boys) but the kitchen pans were still out on the counter. Lasagna was on the menu the night before...lots of pans.  Instead of beginning to scrub, I took each pan and stuck it in back in the cabinet.  Noodles encrusted and all.  That's it.  Should I have died, someone, probably my Grandma, would have found five pans covered in various degrees of soggy food, grease, soap and embarrassment.

I know...you are feeling better about yourself already, aren't you?

On a side note.  My other confession should be that I broke my "no lunches out" Lenten discipline in the most offensive of ways.  The kids and I ate McDonald fries.  And, we had lunch with my parents.  And today I am going out to lunch with a friend who is town.  Other than that...we are keeping the fast.  I know you were curious.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. That is so funny that I CANNOT stop laughing. I put my dirty dishes in the oven. One should always remember to CHECK the oven before turning it on ... lest one re-bakes something. Yes, I have done that. "What is that smell? Is something burning?" "Why, yes. In fact there is. It's a previous meal still in its pan that has been in the oven for too long!" Yikes. Better find some new hiding spots because now I am going to check. Now I have two images in mind from that day. PRICELESS!!!!! Enjoy lunch. :)

Anonymous said...

I must admit, even though I knew you had company and birthday business, I still checked in for your confession last week.

And it should make you feel better that my house does look like a disaster zone complete with blanket city(something I created with a drop cloth over my family room rug and lots of kids blankets and beach towels on top)in case Henrik threw up yesterday. Of course, once I did that, there was no more throwing up. Now it just looks like a huge dump truck of toys exploded in blanket city. There is a little confession of my own to you.

PS Miss you lots!

Colette said...

LOL - awesome entry! Love the line about "probably my Grandma" :-) I actually am a big fan of this idea - will use it, I'm sure. And you know how I feel about McDonald's fries.....they are one step from heaven, my dear....so they can't really be counted as a sin ;-)

Love ya - happy weekend!