Who Am I?

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Job Security

Over the last eight years I have had poor attendance in regards to my dental care. I have been twice. Once for them to tell me my gums needed a major cleaning and then to have that procedure done.

Today, after a three year absence, I returned to the dentist for an evaluation. It involved an X-ray, checking of my gums and a consult with the dentist over what will need to be done.

When the nurses, hygienists and techs see my records, and hear that I am a negligent patient, they can not hide their glee in their step or conceal the sense of power and superiority in their eyes. "Oh...she's going to be fun. We can really "teach" her about oral health care. Ask her about flossing...maybe, she doesn't know how to brush."

I don't know why I have such a negative attitude about dentists...well, I do know. For some reason my childhood dentist really felt shame was the way to get kids to brush their teeth. I am always suspicion of people who think you can shame others into a good relationship. ( This goes for dentists who tell you how bad your brushing is and make you feel guilty and Pastors who "welcome" you to worship by pointing how often you've been gone.) He also lived with a false notion that cavities were always your fault verses, say, genetics and a predisposition for them. Anyway, I can work this out in therapy later...let's just it leave there and say, I don't really trust dentists.

So, with this open mind and heart, I entered the office. The hygienist assigned to my gum check-up was very snippy and just a little bit on a power trip about what she'd find in my mouth. "My goodness, you really should come in more often. Let's see how bad it is in there..." Lots of sighing and "hand me the number blah, blah tool" later...she got to it. (after she adjusted the light and chair fourteen hundred times.)

Imagine my glee as she called out the numbers for my gum check (you don't want anything over a three) "Three, two, three, two, two, two, two, three..." I could hear the helium being sucked from her attitude with each passing 'two.'

HA!!! Vindication. Sonocare toothbrush to the rescue. (I don't floss. I tell them I do, but I don't--it is all the work of my wonder toothbrush.) No cavities. My teeth and gums are in better shape than three years ago. Double, HA!

Then, I waited to see the doctor to confirm all this information. My watch stopped sometime during this wait so I didn't really realize how long I was waiting--that and let's be honest, I was alone in a quiet room, reclining and looking out the window--waiting really wasn't a problem.

Apparently, I waited longer than they wanted me to and, they have learned something about customer care. As I was leaving, I was given two $5 gift certificates to say "sorry" and "please, let us do this again soon."

You tell me, am I being cynical, or is this an odd gift:

They gave me one gift card to DQ and one to Cold Stone Creamery. My dentist. Ice cream.

Can we say, job security? Or, is it a sense of humor? Or, have I found a dentist that trusts my ability to brush?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeh for sonocare. I know it works! Treat the children to ice cream. Calcium is good for the teeth. Happy for your positive dental health. ;-)