Who Am I?

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Slow day at Fleet Farm--1993

I began opening boxes today.  I was chugging along until I opened the 'memory box.'  I was putting a journal back and a list fell out.  Apparently it was a slow day at the Fleet Farm cash register, lane 8.  July 29, 1993--just a month short of my 21st birthday. (seven years to the date before I would be married.)  It would have been the summer before my junior year in college.

A list of things I, apparently, wanted to do in my life.  Thankfully, I put no goal date on my list.

handwriting class
vocb improve
play golf
tennis lessons
chess
drive boat
know how to change tires, oil
have financial understanding
write a book-short story
cook 1 thing really well
have understanding of wine
get job
have dog
garden, plant, have flowers in home
be in a play
feel comfortable on horse-jump with a horse
get job
learn Spanish better
finish a triathlon
live in a house with others
write resume
volunteer
improve GPA
art design lessons
have an article published
have children
husband
travel-British Columbia, Scotland, England, Norway/Sweden, see every state, Mexico?
have traditions-style  i.e.  tea at 4pm with scones
get job
read Bible
Collect-children's books for the illustrations, tea cups
nationals XC
Masters
Ph.D
Leave mark on world around me.  Add to people and their lives.  Do onto others as I wish them to do on to me.


I retyped this as it was written.  I am not sure when I crossed out some of the ideas.  (They aren't crossed off because I accomplished them.)  Some made me laugh out loud.  Some made me cry.  Mostly they made me even more aware of the need for empathy.

2 comments:

Colette said...

This is fun to find! My favorite is "feel comfortable on horse-jump with a horse " - I would've crossed that off too. Yikes. Scares me still - maybe that's why I *should* have it on my list, then. Good luck with getting through more boxes - reminds me of organizing our loose photos when I was pregnant with Matthew - it took exponentially longer because I went through and remembered everything while putting them into albums. Laughing and crying there too ;-)

Gretchen said...

I don't understand why I don't see "Move to a midwest city and find awesome friends" on your list. : ) Just kidding! What a treasure to find, actually.