Who Am I?

Monday, August 29, 2011

Second Ring

During the first two pregnancies, when my wedding ring no longer fit, I just stopped wearing a ring.  This third time, I ended up taking it off fairly early in the pregnancy. (my fingers started out a bit larger than they had been...)

One day BB, EG and I were browsing through a local department store when we passed the costume jewelry section.  I stopped to try on one of the rings...just for fun.  BB took one look at all the shiny goodness before him and he hatched a plan to make one of them his--well, sort of his.  BB decided he would pick out a ring for me to wear since I "wasn't wearing Daddy's."

There were three trays full of "gem"stone rings.  Many were made to look like traditional wedding/engagement sets, others were pure fiction.  Still others were basic cocktail style rings.  He had me try on each and every ring.  With each one he would take my hand and move it closer to his face.  He'd inspect the ring.  Look back at the tray and contemplate which would be best. (All the while EG was trying to take a ride up the escalator by herself.  She had no interest in this process.)

He has pretty gaudy taste.  (in my opinion.)  In the end, I narrowed down the field to three rings and let him choose.

This is the ring I wore for a few months during my pregnancy.  I have to admit it is a pretty fun ring to wear.

Now, five weeks after giving birth, the ring is too large. (plus the mammoth 'diamond' is a bit dangerous around a baby)  But sadly, my real engagement ring and wedding band remains too tight for me to comfortably wear.  (along with my pants, shirts and a whole lotta my shoes.)

When I was first given the real ring, twelve years ago, I remember standing out on the end of my parents' property and staring in wonder at my new gift.  I had just said 'yes' to my husband's marriage proposal. Then I promptly began to jump around and shake my hand to see how easily the ring might come off.  It stayed put. (but with lots of room for movement.  sigh)

And, I look forward to the day I put it back on...


No comments: