Who Am I?

Friday, August 26, 2011

Keeping it Calmer in 2012--election that is.

I think it is a sign that I really need to enter a 5 K race or some other (appropriate) competitive event in order to full fill a life long need to 'be first.'  (or rather have tangible proof that I am 'right', 'ok', 'complete', 'good'...pick one.)  There is nothing like a good election cycle to get me hopped up and jazzed.  But over time I've realized very few people share my zeal for this rite of American culture.  (and, where I live I have very few comrades.)  Plus, I am getting older...my heart may not make it around this go.

So, I can't promise that I will fulfill any of these 13 goals--but they seems like a good thing to at least consider.

From the website of Rachel Held Evans:
While I can’t avoid 2012, I figure I can keep it from making me crazy by deciding on 13 things I won’t do this election season: 
1. Threaten to move to Canada if my candidate doesn’t win. 
2. Engage in lengthy political arguments on Facebook with people I don’t even know that well. 
3. Scarf down an entire bag of animal crackers while nervously watching a debate…(not that this has ever happened before).
4. Donate to a campaign.
5. Allow polls to dictate my mood. 
6. Write five blog posts a week about how the Republican Party has co-opted the evangelical culture to the point that the two are indistinguishable….(not that this has ever happened before). 
7. Rely exclusively on cable news for my information. 
8. Rely exclusively on John Stewart for my information. 
9. Avoid my conservative friends.  
10. Get so preoccupied with the power struggles of an earthly kingdom that I forget my first allegiance is to a heavenly kingdom that expands through patience, love, mercy, and grace. 
11. Assume that God is on my side or that a single vote can represent my "Christian values" to the world. 
12. Let anyone convince me that I should be afraid.
13. Check Facebook on election night.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

I hope that I am not considered a conservative friend because I don't want to be avoided!! : )

Jennie said...

I think that if you succeed in numbers 1 - 12, you should allow yourself the guilty pleasure of #13. Also, I'm glad to see that a bottle of wine is not verboten. Maybe I'll need to drive down to spend this election with you...

A Work in Progress said...

I think #13 was a bit extreme, as well. :)