Who Am I?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Slap on some paint

I have spent the last two days cleaning and touch up painting our house.  Once I start looking for chipped paint, worn moldings or finger prints, I can't stop.  They seem to multiple before my eyes.  We had most of the house painted a year ago so it only needs touch ups here and there.  There are light fixtures and high ceiling corners I may have never cleaned in six years.  Many trucks and grocery carts have run around the corners.

After about an hour of walking around with a paint can and brush, I had to tell myself to "let it go."  This is the house.  This is how it looks.  All the paint or cleaning in the world isn't going to make it into the house of someone else's dream.  If they like it, they like it.  My cleaning the carpet over and over wasn't going to turn it into a four bedroom home.  Covering up each and every chipped molding wasn't going to add a den or granite counter tops.  The house is what it is.

The same can be said for the people who live in the house.  We can try to cover and clean and hide our faults and foibles.  It won't work.  Slapping on some paint in hopes of tricking others into liking us won't work unless God has a chance to sand our soul a bit.  Like my house, we can't be all things to all people.  No amount of scrubbing or touch ups will make us better than what God created us to be. By fessing up to this and allowing ourselves to be who we are, the Holy Spirit has room to work.  By God's grace we awake each day more closely resembling ourselves as seen through God's eyes.

We had our first showing today.  As I left the house after two days of loving care, it looked like the best version of itself.  Bright, comfortable, cozy and well loved.  I hope someone falls in love soon.

1 comment:

laura @ hollywood housewife said...

"we cannot be all things to all people."

Something I needed to hear today.