Who Am I?

Monday, November 17, 2008

Yay, God.

Last week I sent a note of compliment to a woman who is basically a stranger to me. She did a nice job on something and I wanted to affirm her passion and her gifts.

She responded to my note with one that I will characterize as a "Yay, God." note. In response to my two sentence note, she took two paragraphs to glorified God and sang praises about the marvelous ways God uses her. She explained to me that she is just the vessel for God's work and then went on to share the various way God molded her that day.

I have mixed thoughts on, "Yay, God" notes and comments in day to day conversation. I want to chalk it up to a difference in style, we upper Midwest Lutherans just don't brag about anything that much, even God is expected to keep a low profile. But I wonder what I'm bumping up against isn't substance as well.

I wanted to write back and tell her that it was ok to take some credit. That God would be ok with her simply saying, "Thanks. I really enjoyed it." or "Thanks, I worked hard on it." or "Thanks, I enjoy proclaiming God's work in our lives." or simply, "Thanks."

Instead of my note being a means to connect with her and offer support and appreciation for her contribution, I feel as if I got 'out God-ed.' As if our faith life was another form of 'keeping up with the Jones'.'

No comments: