Who Am I?

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks.

Our Thanksgiving day plans took a turn yesterday when BB spent the night spiking a fever that his sister had shared with him. We decided not to infect the entire clan and opted to stay home today.

Blessedly the kiddos slept until 7am and we managed to keep everyone quiet until 8am. After three nights of literally no more than three hours of sleep for me, I was thankful. I made pancakes, eggs and bacon for breakfast and we watched parts of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. (Which has annoyingly become one big commercial for NBC and its sponsors...)
My husband had work to finish up before next week so after breakfast he headed to the office.

The kids and I headed to the park on what was, a gorgeous, sunny day. As BB ran around I thought about the day.

Truthfully, I wasn't horribly upset to miss the travel, family meal and stay over. We will see everyone tomorrow for a one day visit...it will be good to catch up and see the cousins and family we see only once a year. But I was thankful for a day of rest.

Thankful that the kids slept, yes, but also grateful I allowed myself a day off. Because it was a holiday and I figured everyone else was 'off' I felt ok skipping chores and projects. The store were closed so I couldn't "run errands" to keep busy.

Not only did I take the day off, the kids on the mend from illness slept,...for hours.

For the kid who loves her formal holidays ...tables set with china and the finest serving pieces, decorations all around the house, guests dressed up, best manners on display, abundance of food...I was so content to throw on my baseball cap and sit on a bench at the park.

It isn't a tradition I hope to carry out every year, but for this year...at this time...I was thankful for it.

No comments: