Who Am I?

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I Was There.

Grant Park Chicago, IL November 4, 2008

Yesterday, I dressed my kids in red, white and blue and we headed off to vote. We stood in line for over an hour, chatting with those around us and enjoying people watching at its best.

I cast my ballot for Sen. Barak Obama and walked out of the polling place with anticipation. As I schlepped the kids into the car, I pulled out one of my favorite phrases from West Wing. "It is really something, every four years we get to overthrow the government." It is a privilege that should be met with long lines and eager, passionate citizens. Election day should be, I think, a national holiday.

And it was for us. With a dash of American capitalism thrown in to the patriotic mix, we headed to Krispy Kreme and Starbucks for our free donuts and coffee. Then we were off to the park to run and play.

After nap time, my husband arrived home early so I could drive like a mad woman to Chicago.

After a drive there and then a drive downtown with my brother and sister in law, we entered the sea of humanity. The next few hours are a bit of a blur.

What I remember is how calm everyone was. Sure there were people running around with cell phones attached to their ears. People were cheering and the t-shirt vendors were offering their wares. But, it was controlled. Even as we merged into the ticketed line into Grant Park...we chatted with each other and jockeyed for position with respect and a controlled measure of civility. It was so unexpected.




The video was taken once we were actually in Grant Park. The place we set up camp was far, far away from the stage, but thanks to jumbo tron TV we could see CNN and the speeches that came after California was called.



You make friends when you are smooshed together with people, and last night was no exception. The faces and comments of the people around us in the crowd are still with me. The ones I enjoyed, and the ones I would have rather moved away from. We weren't always nice, nor did we always model what we were preaching as supporters of Barak Obama and the Democratic Party. We were human. Excited, hopeful, overwhelmed, joyous, arrogant, rude, prejudiced...human.

It was a good night. It was a turning point in our American story. It also served to close the book on four, if not, eight years of my own frustration. Some of this reflection is deeply personal as I use this moment to bookmark the past eight years of my own life.

As the flags flapped in the breeze above us and the marvelous words floated out over the crowds, I thought of my Grandpa who would have loved this night. A man so sweet and caring, so focused on doing well by people and giving everyone a chance. I saw his brown eyes tear up as he took my Grandma's hand in hope for what might be.

I thought of Carole, who had her own fight going on this year, but remained a passionate supporter of Sen. Clinton. She didn't live to see the first female president, but she would have been so happy with the turn our country took.

I thought of the wine my friend and I consumed in grief over previous elections. (for her wonderful perspective click the link.)

I thought of the spring we were in Duluth with our friends as the War in Iraq began. The barrage of TV coverage we tried to shield my friends' kids from while we ourselves were unable to look away.

I thought of the countless times I had listened to the news and then turned to my children...wanting to apologize for what their future may look like. Sad that this was time in which they were living.

I held in my heart all the negative comments I have read on the internet in the past two years. The anonymous comments filled with fear and hate. The vile, most ugly part of our society spewing out. I was also mindful of my friends and family who were not as excited as me by the election. Those who feel a bit on the outside now...wondering what the world will look like.

I was not as free and giddy as some of my younger crowd-mates. I held on to all of this. As the night went on I realized how heavy it was, and I decided to let some of it go. It is time to move on.

Not just because of who won the election, but because it is time.

It is too easy to chalk it up to a night where 'we' won and 'those' people lost. I was mindful that as a Christian, I believe we are at our best when we are striving to serve something bigger than ourselves. It is what I hope for government--that we are meant to find our common goals and pursuits. I believe that we can do this, at least we can give it our all. Yes. We. Can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw you this morning on TV as they were showing video of the event last. At least, I think it was you. I'll just pretend it was you. :)

Jennie said...

Beautiful reflections, my friend.

Anonymous said...

It was so great. So. Great. Rob & I were watching TV last night and still can't really believe it all yet - it is so wonderful! Despite a lack of sleep (I can't even imagine how you felt yesterday!), I cannot seem to stop smiling and feeling so at peace with all of this. Good times "my friend" ;-)

Anonymous said...

What a joy your presence at Grant Park brought to your dad and I as we watched. The phone call added even more to the excitement. We are so much more hopeful for our 3 kids and their families. Full of hope, Mom and Dad