Who Am I?

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

And Then the Nest was Empty.

Well, almost.

Oh, they grow up so fast. Seems like just last week they were bald ugly and their eyes were all bulging and closed. Thanks to the tireless efforts of Mama and Papa Robin the birds are off. And they are cute!
This morning as I went to let the dog out and much to my surprise there sat one of the babies on our patio table. She was all proud and puffed up. Mama, true to form, was hopping around in an anxious fit on the ground near by. Eventually the baby bird decided to show off for me and took off FLYING to the next tree. I was so proud.

I'm not sure how the family dynamics go with The Robins but the other bird was still huddled in the nest. Perhaps waiting for permission from Mama and Papa. "Wait your turn. She hatched first. Life isn't fair. Get use to it. You both got plenty of worms--I don't want to hear about it."

I'm sure this one will get a crack at life out of the nest, too. This has been a fascinating event to watch.

p.s. from the top photo you'll notice that Big Boy's lettuce crop is doing well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the proud Mama and Papa. Big Boy's first crop looks wonderful. There will be salad very soon. Thanks for the bird reality show. It was fun watching from afar.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that DID happen fast! Thanks for the update - they are so cute! We saw a robin on our deck the other day - a fascinating event, really. Might be only the second bird we've seen outside of a bird sanctuary here! -C

Jennie said...

I can't tell you how glad it makes my heart to see this nest emptied by growth and life! Happy Spring!