Who Am I?

Monday, November 12, 2012

A Year of Biblical Womanhood-initial review



A few weeks ago the blogger and author, Rachel Held Evans, invited readers to apply to be on the "launch team" for her newest book, A Year of Biblical Womanhood.  On a lark, and intrigued, I applied.  My family can vouch for my perma-grin smile when I was accepted a few days later.  I was giddy with excitement.  Shortly after getting the invitation, I received my pre-ordered copy from Amazon.

Honestly, I applied because it sounded like a novel addition to my, never boring, but stale day to day life.  Although I did figure I could be pretty good at promoting the book, I wasn't entirely sure the book's message would change my life.

I read it fairly quickly, taking notes and underlining.  I wrote up an initial review, and along with other members of the Launch Team, posted my reviews on various book sellers websites.

My review often read like this...


I followed Rachel Held Evans' blog long before reading any of her books.  Her story and perspective, offered me a window in to a world I had very little first hand knowledge about--the Evangelical voice heard across the Body of Christ.

The term "Biblical Womanhood" showed up exactly nowhere in my faith lexicon until I had children and joined a MOPS group (mothers of preschoolers).  I quickly realized while my faith tradition may not explicitly use this phrase, and may even pride its self as being "above" such thoughts, the idea of "Biblical Womanhood" has permeated into the fibers of our society and shaped how all of us think of women and ourselves.

A Year of Biblical Womanhood is a smart and incredibly humorous read.  Her writing is well researched, thoughtful and brave.  With each passing month of Rachel Held Evans’ ambitious pursuit, the life and faith of our ancestral sisters comes to life.  The vulnerability and bittersweet truth of womanhood, both historical and present day, is exposed and handled with grace and honesty.  She takes the Bible very seriously and holds on to the living stories of God with great humility and care.  We are moved beyond the cultural use of Biblical stereotypes and reductions, to an honest, reflective and life giving place.

This book increased my empathy for my sisters and brothers within the Body of Christ, inspired my own reflection on the women of the Bible, and highlights the areas where all Christians need to unite in pursuit of the gospel.


 I am currently re-reading the book in anticipation of two small group discussions.  I have one planned for a group of friends and local women and another planned for the women within my congregation.  I have other thoughts and reflections that the book has inspired me, I honestly just can't find the space to write anything deep or meaningful right now.  Hopefully, I can carve out some space to write and reflect in the coming weeks.

 


Hope you'll join in the conversation!



No comments: