Who Am I?

Monday, March 07, 2011

Working with what you've got

Do you see these sad, empty hangers?  All that shelf space?  Yesterday they held clothes.  That did not fit.  I was hanging on to them in hopes of wearing them again one day.

I have two full boxes of summer clothes in the basement.  One box of clothes that are lovingly thought of as 'Memorabilia'.  The dress I wore to my 8th grade Confirmation.  A pair of shorts from college that received favorable reviews.  A few tops that are too cute to give up, but would require major cosmetic surgery to get me back into.  These boxes sit in the basement.

Upstairs my closet was overflowing with sweaters and pants.  Many suits that I haven't worn in years.  Clothes that belonged to my Godmother.  Size, after increasing, size.  On the floor in front of my closet was a pile of the clothes that did fit.  Each day I would look over the beautiful items that I couldn't wear, and grab the few pieces that did fit from the overflow pile and stacks.  It was tiring.  A bit depressing.  And a daily reminder of the ridiculous.

We had a house showing yesterday (so that answers your question of whether the house is still for sale.)  and I realized many parts of my life might benefit from cleaning up my closet.  I took out all of the items that don't fit/can't wear/wrong season and packed them away. 

I am left with this closet.  (note all the fun colors.)
I told myself that come October, I will drag out all the boxes.  All of them.  I'll have a major fashion show and part with my past for good.(ok, parts of it.)  But, for now, it is buried in the basement.  It does make the morning much less dramatic or angst filled to know I can wear everything in my closet.  There is some freedom in living with less.  Peace in having just enough.

1 comment:

Colette said...

Most cleansing experience EVER. I did the same thing here - maybe around the same time you did? Am left with.....not much, though it does making getting dressed easier, much quicker and a bit less depressing in the am. The whole "that is so cute, but it doesn't fit" conversation gets old - FAST.