Who Am I?

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Falling Close to the Tree

The scene begins as a mother says to her three year old daughter and five year old son.  "I'm working in the kitchen right now so you have to play in our yard."  (not play with the neighbors in their yard.)  An hour passes and each of them ask a few more times, just in case the mom has changed her mind or forgotten their request.  Finally, the five year old settles into realty.  He's not playing in his friend's yard today.  The three year old has another game plan.

After standing in the kitchen doorway crying for a bit, she decides to change shoes.  On her way back through the kitchen, "Mom, I changed my shoes now can I go in Simon's yard."
"No, EG."
She stands in the the doorway and begins to cry again.  Then suddenly shuts off the tears and looks at her mom.
"Mom, I'm stubborn."  Stomps her foot and sets her face to stone.
"Yes, you are."  her mom is internally smiling.  "Do you know what stubborn means?"
EG ponders for a moment.  Quietly she says, "No."
"Maybe you shouldn't use words when you don't know what they mean."  A pointless remark.
There is a long pause.  EG relaxes a bit.  Her face and voice soften.
"Mom, what does stubborn mean?"
The mom finishes washing some pots and pans from last night's lasagna. 
"Stubborn means that you don't change your mind very easily.  It isn't always a good thing.  But you know who else is stubborn?"
"Birds?"  she asks.
"Well, maybe, but I was thinking of your dad, your brother and me.  Sometimes it is a good thing, sometimes it isn't.  Did you notice that BB is playing and you are standing in the doorway crying?  Who's having more fun?"
She looks outside.
The mom gets out the dishwasher soap and fills up the soap cups.  Closes the door and turns to start dinner.
A few minutes pass.  With a mixture of defiance and resignation, "I'm having fun, Mom."
"hummm...Well, EG, my answer isn't going to change."
"Cause you're stubborn, too?  (quick pause)  Did I use stubborn correcdidly, Mom?"

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your kids are awesome! : )

Colette said...

Love it! Correcdidly tops it off ;-)