Who Am I?

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday

Our house has been for sale for 10 months.  Did you just stop reading?  Tired of this topic, are you?  Everyone in our life is as well.  I understand.  We are doing our best to change the topic.  But for today, the house is a prominent chapter in our life's story.

It started out as a fantastically unique Saturday.  It was the first weekend in a long time that did not have anything planned for either of us.  I have no weekend church projects for the next few weeks, so I was feeling relaxed.  Friday kicked off the weekend when a friend was available and interested in watching our kids.  We ate dinner at a restaurant in peace.  Ahh.  Of course by 9:30pm I was exhausted and ready for bed.

Which I got to sleep in until 8:00am on Saturday.  Ahh.  BB and I got up and leisurely made pancakes (one of my very favorite things to do and his favorite to eat.)  EG and my husband slept a bit longer.  We ate.  The kids planned a Dinosaur Show.  BB hung signs, encouraging the family to sign up to see his show.  Once the kitchen was cleaned up we headed into BB's bedroom for the show.

We sat in peaceful bliss on the bedroom floor, enjoying a Saturday all together.  The kids showed us their drawings of dinosaurs.  Then EG brought out her dinosaur, named Laura.  They had made a cage out snap blocks and placed a dinosaur family inside.  We had to speak quietly and could not touch the dinosaurs.  After many "mic" checks, BB and EG were ready to preform their dinosaur song up on BB's bed.  At this point the phone rang.

My husband and I looked at each other knowing full well what the call at 10:30am meant.

Someone wanted to see our house at noon.

After we patiently listened to the song and even got to draw a picture of a dinosaur.  We had to sign our names to them and hang them on the on wall.  Then we regretfully shared the news that we had to call the real estate agency back.

All of a sudden our Saturday felt just like every other Saturday for the last few months.  (we want to sell the house, so we know what we need to do...it was just so amazing to be still and hang out.)

Instead of leaving to do something, we decided to park on our street and wait for the showing to come and then leave. By 12: 30 lunch was now on our minds and our house takes about 15-20 mins max to look over.  So, we sat in our cars on our street, outside our own house and chatted on our cells phones.  At 1:00pm, our agent called to say the showing agent was running late.  Could they see the house between 1:30 and 2:30?

I can't actually repeat what my husband said.  It was funny.  Especially, coming from mild mouthed him, but I didn't share it with the agents.  I sighed and said, "Sure."

Our kids hate this.  It has effected their moods in various ways.  They feel as powerless as we do, perhaps even more so, and their frustration manifests itself in a variety of ways.  Screaming.  Crying.  Disobedience.  Fighting with each other.  Mouthing back to us.  My children's mental health was never one of the things I would have listed when I thought of potential house selling issues.

We headed to lunch..out.  (which I love.)  Then home again.

Now we wait...

We did reclaim the weekend.  I took a nap.  My husband took his monthly trip to Goodwill.  The kids watched some tv, played outside and colored some more pictures.  Right now as I type, they are all at the park flying a kite.

I am watching House Hunters, waiting for the pages of this chapter in our lives to turn.

1 comment:

Colette said...

My heart just aches for you guys. It is never-ending with those showings.... though we didn't live it nearly as long as you guys have. We were lucky enough just to leave our real estate mess and deal with it from far away - which is annoying and stressful, but in a much less personal and every-day, "in your face" way. I SO hope good changes come your way soon in this dept.