Who Am I?

Thursday, July 02, 2009

Sneaky

I will always remember the look on BB's face when I told him he didn't need to take a nap today. It was about nine months ago. He started to cry and I said, "Ok. You don't need to take a nap. You don't need to sleep. But you need to be in your room for a quiet time." He was so giddy with this new plan.

Of course, 10 mins later he was a sleep, waking 3 hours later.

The quiet time plan has worked well since then. Until recently. He's nearing an age when some kids stop napping. So I'm prepared that some days he just isn't tired. And then some days he still naps for hours on end. (I know, I know...I am VERY thankful.) But in his age and maturity (I use that term very loosely) he can also fight on through the tired. Last month I knew he needed to lay down, and was just fighting it. So I helped him snugle in. I read a book. He still wanted to get up. So I told him we going to try something new.

"Just close your eyes and stay in bed for 5 mins. In 5 mins I will come back, and if you are still awake you can get up." He went for it. Great day in the morning. And sure enough, 2 hours later he popped out of bed. "I ended up sleeping for a 'iddle' bit Mommy."

Part of me feels a bit guilty every time he asks to "do that shing where I just close my eyes for a 'iddle' bit, ok, Mommy?" But hey, it works, and best of all we both feel like we are in control of the situation.

Double "HA" to both of us. :)

No comments: