Who Am I?

Friday, September 24, 2010

Traditions are Important

Have I ever told you about our night time rituals?  We have the basic dinner, then play outside with Dad until Mom calls you in routine.  This is the point where I imagine our family splits from anything you'd see on prime time family sitcoms.

The kids head to their rooms to get ready for a bath...but instead of heading directly to the bathroom for a shower or bath, they take a turn into the living room for what we like to call, "The Naked Dance Party."  (only the children are naked)  Like any good tradition it developed over time.  What once was a simple spin around the room before bath has morphed into a full on dance event.

I turn on music...our favorite mix is my ipod playlist simply titled, "Run."  It is a mix of Will.i.am, Black Eyed Peas, Queen and U2.  Very soothing before bedtime.

The kids dance around the living room for about 15 mins.  BB has a lot of ballet moves. Graceful leg kicks and plies turns. Arms held above his head.  EG/Michael has more of a "hands in the air, wave them around" feel to her dance.  She also really likes spinning as a raw art form.  "I dizzy, I dizzy, I dizzy....OHHHHHH, I going to fall down."

My husband and I dance as well.  We laugh a lot, too.

Then they take a bath or shower.  The kids try to get back on the dance floor but we corral them into underwear and pjs.

I thought you'd enjoy this visual. 

I've been gone a bit, I felt I owned you something special to hang on to as you head into the weekend.

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

All I really want to know is what time of night does this dance tradition usually happen because I want to make sure that I do NOT stop by during that...sounds like a lot of nakedness...that's all I'm saying! : ) Just kidding. Sounds fun!! We used to dance around to ABBA while I was making dinner and my hubby would come home and wonder what the heck was going on! I had that music turned up REALLY loud. We did keep our clothes on, though. :)

Anonymous said...

Gretchen, that is usually when we do our dancing too, in the kitchen while meals are being made..loved the entry:) BW

Colette said...

Love, love, love!!!!!!