Who Am I?

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

44

How do you explain to a three year old that today is a really important, exciting day? "Please be quiet while Mommy watches tv. No, this isn't any normal program. This is a big deal."

Screams abound. They only get louder as we try to quiet him.

My parenting guilt sets in.

An internal conversation begins:
Punish him for screaming because I need to be focused on the tv? Send him to his room because he isn't listening? Ignore him?

Throws himself on the floor. Screaming and screaming. Now he wants to watch his firefighter show.

EG has gone to bed. Practically took herself there in an attempt to escape her insane family.

With dramatic flair I stomp off saying, "I'll just go to Mom's group, after all." (Where oh where does BB gets his drama?)

At this point Dad gets involved. Calmly trying to explain the big day to BB. No success. But as BB heads away, Dad looks at me and whispers emphatically," Just send him to his room. You want to watch this...it's a big day. He'll get over it."

Then an idea hits me. Cookies.

BB is still screaming and whining as he moves from room to room trying to get us to follow his lead.

"BB, let's make cookies while we watch the Inauguration."

It is amazing how quickly that passion and noise can stop. Silence and smiles. A little jump and a clap. We head to the kitchen to watch history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE to try those cookies :-) Great idea! I let Eva play with Katy's cleaned out dog bowls - you do what ya gotta do to watch these historic moments!