Who Am I?

Sunday, September 07, 2008

It is in the Bible...

This past week my fall schedule started up. I attend a mom's group that is organized by a congregation that is a bit out of my theological comfort zone--to put it mildly. They are socially conservative and interpret the Bible in a much more fundamental way than my tradition, or I, do.

But they put on a really well organized mom's group, so in spite of nearly constant theological red flags going off as I listen to the speakers and my fellow mothers, I continue to attend. My pastoral heart breaks sometimes as I listen to what these women are taught and believe about their role in the world...but that is a topic for another time. I guess I'm a sucker for well decorated tables, yummy food, crafts and good childcare...and, and, every once in a while I come away edified and inspired.

The MOPS group is open to mothers from any denomination (or none) but the hosting church does a nice job of inviting the women to connect to life of their congregation. This past week they were highlighting the fall Bible studies...as the leader read over the descriptions she came to a study of 1 Corinthians. Very nicely, and sincerely she said, "...a study of 1 Corinthians, which is in the Bible,.." Bells went off in my head. For one nanosecond the snarky, cynical side of my brain piped up, "Oh, come on...everyone knows what 1 Corinthians is from, we aren't stupid." Then I realized that, no, in fact many people may not.

I've never been apart of a church which felt a need (or rather, felt they had the need) to be so mindful of people who may not know the insider language of Christianity. Hospitality, outreach, being mindful of how we welcome and invite the stranger has always been a passion of mine, but I was reminded that in many churches that simply means helping members greet a new person or putting up new sign so people can find the bathrooms.

It got me thinking about all the ways church is a closed system--all the barricades in place that keep people from coming in and us from reaching out.

Try to write a bulletin or to make your announcements for someone who has no idea about Christianity, never mind your specific congregation. Try preaching that way. Teach a class. Hard, huh? Convicting. But it is also so energizing for me...how fun would it be to be a part of a congregation that intentionally thought this way?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found out today that a member at our church has been sitting in her car in the parking lot during Sunday School. She has three children - who are all in Sunday School. I was sad and upset that 1) she didn't feel welcome enough to come into church during Sunday School time 2) in awe that she felt it important to bring her children to Sunday School but not comfortable enough for herself to be a part 3) realized that I don't know if the family attend swroship service or just SUnday School - and why don't I know that? 4) VERY upset that I (and no one else) noticed that she was in her car. How do you welcome people like that? ANd help them find a place to belong?

Lindean said...

My first Sunday here at Christ the King in Bozeman I invited folks to open their pew Bibles during my sermon - radical, I know. And then in explaining where I was picking up I gave the page number and said, "We'll start at Matthew chapter 16, verse 13. The big numbers are the chapter numbers, the little numbers are the verse numbers." And the congregation laughed. Then I said something to the effect of, "Wait a minute - if you didn't grow up going to Sunday School and no one ever taught you how to read a Bible, how would you know that? We are called to tell the story to those who haven't heard it, and they won't know how things work, and why should they? There's no shame in starting at the beginning." Made 'em think, anyway.
So when we refer to the "narthex" we also say it's the big hallway you come into from outside. We're trying to get away from all the "insider" language - hard to do, but worth it!