Who Am I?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My First Born Spoiled Me

Most of you have known me long enough know just how far Annebelle has fallen in the family hierarchy. Three short years ago she was our prized friend and constant companion. Then we moved her away from the large yard and tens of neighborhood kids in Fargo...depression set in. And then we had Henry. She got mad at us, and we, in turn began to ignore her.

There is no question that owning a dog is good preparation for childcare. It takes some of the edge off. A puppy introduces you to sleepless nights and the never ending clean up of bodily fluids. A responsible dog owner knows you have to plan ahead for a trip, need to consider where to stay and allow for bathroom breaks and meals. Your time is not completely your own. You can't be gone from home for hours on end without an unpleasant surprise greeting you upon your return. There is someone else who relies on your for food, shelter and love. You also learn something about discipline (teaching) and in our case spent lots of time in obedience school learning how to be a better human.

Annebelle listened better when I was calm, when I wasn't angry or out of control. She taught me that consistency works...give the same message the same way and eventually the dog or child will get it. BUT man oh man the learning curve is higher with a kid. :) I catch myself saying 'Come here, Henry' and lo and behold....he DOESN'T come! I say "Sit and stay" and he gets up and moves. I tell him "No" and it is as if I am speaking a language only known to me. I say "lay down in bed" and he jumps up.

I know you aren't suppose to compare your children, but really people, Annebelle had all these lessons by a year. :) It might have had something to do with the collar around her neck and the leash....that or the fact she's a first born. They tend to aim high. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing!! I was having withdrawal. I didn't know that it wasn't ok to put a leash around your kid's neck?!?! I thought that was an acceptable method of child rearing. I guess I had better stop. Hee!Hee! :)

Gretchen