Who Am I?

Thursday, March 27, 2008

You Don't Just Leave...

As the brouhaha over Sen. Obama's pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and the Democratic race continues on...I wish I was around people who could talk in complete sentences but alas, that is not my current audience. So I share some thoughts here, with...hum, myself.

I find it to be so telling of our society that the media (and Sen. Clinton) felt the only option Sen. Obama had was to leave the church. As if congregational life was all about the pastor. As if church was a movie that we get up from and leave in the middle of if the tone and message doesn't suit us. In most of the congregations that I have been apart of, the members hang in there, sometimes in spite of the pastor, knowing that the priesthood is much larger than just the pastor. Hop over to Trinity United Church of Christ and you'll see a whole lot of reasons why one might be a member there. You'll also note that at TUCC there are many more pastors to guide one on their spiritual journey besides Rev. Wright.

Take note of these comments as well:
Rev. Martin Marty says this about Rev. Wright.
And Mary Hess has a number of other very interesting links--scroll down a few entries.

As an aside, I sat next to Rev. Wright during the taping of Sen. Obama's first visit to the Oprah show. I wouldn't jump right to "warm and pastoral" in describing him. But hey, I was just the wide eyed kid in a pink jacket asking about 'hope' in her first television appearance.

No comments: