Who Am I?

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Feminism Not Rubbing Off On Son

These are utterances from my son this week...

In a discussion over what my husband does: "My Daddy makes big dig-digs." (this goes down as his first sentence by the way.)
"Yes, he does. What does Mommy do?"
"Mommy cooks food."

While at a friend's house this week Big Boy found two trucks that needed to be fixed. One was an ambulance, and today as we talked about the ambulance piece in a puzzle Big Boy remembered the broken ones at his friend's house.

"Wa-wa's daddy fix." (the truck...) I said, "Oh, I don't know. I 'm sure Wa-wa's mommy will fix it."
"No, Wa-wa Daddy. Wa-wa's Daddy." (He's met the man maybe once, while he sees the "mommy" a number of times a week.)

Tonight as we got ready for bed. DAD asked, "Who's going to read to you?"
"Daddy. Ma,ma clean food." (He might as well have said, "Back to the kitchen with you, woman.)

This might all stem from having a mother who has (this was literally true today) been 'bare foot and pregnant' for most of his recent memory. "Just you wait kid, I can do more than cook and clean."

Clearly, we have some work to do.

No comments: